Today I would like to continue with yesterday's topic by sharing other potentially harmful ingredients that you could be using on your skin right now. As I stated in yesterday's post, the FDA has been recently cracking down on these substances, so I want you to take this information and use it to make your health and life better.
More Product Ingredients To Avoid:
9. Quats, such as benzalkonium chloride, steardimonium chloride, cetrimonium bromide, and cetrimonium chloride, give a positive charge to conditioners in order to prevent static.
10. Antibacterial Compounds, such as triclosan and chlorphenesin, do not break down in the environment and may contribute to bacterial resistance.
11. Synthetic Polymers, such as sodium polyacrylate and carbomer, come from petroleum and give viscosity to skincare products. They are highly processed and their manufacture creates toxic by-products.
12. Synthetic Colors are made from coal tar and heavy metal salts that may deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. Animal studies have shown almost all of them to be carcinogenic.
They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number. The FDA is looking at possible bans on these ingredients.
13. Chelators, such as disodium EDTA and tetrasodium EDTA, are used in personal care products to remove impurities from low-quality raw materials. They do not readily biodegrade in the environment and a "filler" that costs you more money.
14. Nanos are a new technology with inconclusive but potentially hazardous study results. Research suggests that when tiny nano particles penetrate the skin, they may cause cell damage.
15. Animal Testing. A history of cruelty to animals lies behind many cosmetic ingredients. If they have to test it on animals in the first place it's probably not good for your skin. Always look for the not tested on animals logo.
There are others of course, but these are a great place to start. You can start saving yourself money and problems with your skin by simply looking for products that do not contain these harmful and unnecessary ingredients. Now for another important piece of information today:
The Truth About Your Sunscreen
As warmer weather is approaching for some of us (for others a few months away including myself), the topic of sunscreen becomes relevant again. This just so happens to be another area under fire from the FDA right now is sunscreen and it's effectiveness.
Scientific studies have shown that chemical-based sunscreens, such as oxybenzone and octylmethoxycinnamate, have been shown to disrupt endocrine activity. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are safer alternatives which are perfectly effective sunscreens made from safflower oil that work just fine.
The other tip you need to know is that there is never an occasion you need a sunscreen over SPF 30. Any amount of protection over that is unnecessary and a waste of money.
If you are using SPF over 30, then understand that it can also become highly irritating to your skin. Also, don't get any in your eyes by mistake or you will pay dearly for it!
I always like to give everyone more access to information that you can use today so visit the next link below to get step-by-step information on how to keep your skin healthy, clear, and eternally youthful looking!
Wishing you a healthy and joyous day,
The Hardest Working Guy In Skin Care
"Inspiring Healthy Choices For Better Living."